Sunday, February 26, 2006

Reproof

Biblical reproof is telling someone what they are doing wrong with an intent to restore them to a right relationship with God. It is definatly a lost art in our generation. We dont rebuke or reprove those we love. I know I have fallen short here, but I also know that there have been VERY few times when anyone has loved me enough to tell me where I am sinning as well. I dont think it is necessarily that we dont LOVE each other, I think we just are scared! We are scared of how they will react, how it will affect our relationship, if there will be lots of tension; but shouldnt we be more scared that by letting them go on in their sin they may find theirself going to hell?!? When you put it that way, OUCH! We are sometimes so blindsided by our own sins! And when we do realize it, usually only cause we have hit rock bottom, we wonder why no one ever told us? Did people you call your "friends" not really see the area of disobedience in your life ... or were they too scared to call you out on it. Having to tell someone that you love about an area of their life where you see the are fallin from Christ is perhaps the scariest thing we will ever do. We must pray about it and be genuine when we go to them. I know a lot of the times I think that hinting to someone about a sin in there life is good enough. Its NOT! People are oblivious to vauge indirect hints. Sometimes we feel that we are not qualified to reprove someone cause we are not perfect, or even worse cause we struggle with the EXACT same thing that we are gonna call them out on. And a lot of times we think well I will just pray for them. Scripture is clear that as Christians we are called to help each other become more like Christ. As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. (Proverbs 27:17) If we claim to be Christians we are held to the word of God as our final authority. I am CLAIMING Jesus Christ as my savior! So I am beggin you, if you are also making that same claim and can see areas of my life where I have fallen short PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE love me enough to call me on it. I may not even know what I am doing. I want to be made like Christ more and more every day! I cant promise I wont get my feelings hurt, but guess what I WILL get over it. It is very humbling to have someone come to you and want to help you. I will do everything in my power to receive reproof as well as I can. I am dyin for someone to love me enough to hold me accountable. And we urge you brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, and be patient with everyone. (1 Thess 5:14)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked this post. You had some good points.